August 18, 2009

Lavender Harvest

A first for me, harvesting the flowers of the Lavender plants growing in the front yard landscaping. This year might be a small harvest compared to the massive amounts of mint flourishing in the back but still a rewarding harvest.
As I am learning, harvesting lavender (Lavendula officinalis, L. augustifolia) is different from harvesting mint (Mentha piperita). Mint I can harvest all at one time around September after the plant has flowered; cutting everything I want for the season. But Lavender is a continuous process, taking several mornings to harvest a decent amount for infusions (dried plant material steeping in boiled water; like tea). I can't wait to see how this experiment turns out!

 
  
NOTE: We have discovered the name of the slug-creature I wrote about in a previous post. It's called a Saddleback Caterpillar, and it's poisonous! It causes nausea, burning skin where touched and leave a rash for days which apparently can be quite painful. Luckily no one touched the brightly colored larva. I never knew we had such things in Michigan!
じゃね。

No comments: