Nothing happening lately. I was going to post about the first day of Saturday Morning Physics at U of M, which was today, but we ended up not going. Nobody felt up to getting out of bed and leaving the house.
Lately, it's felt like we're in between; waiting for things to come and bidding time until those things arrive. I find myself wandering the house sometimes, looking for things that I'm supposed to be getting done, but there is nothing like that here. The rush of the beginning of the year has passed and the move to Chicago is too far into the future to begin preparing.
I'm nearly finished with one "semester" I suppose I'll call it; one group of subjects I chose for study, and now it's about time to start gathering the supplies for the next group (books: textbooks, supplemental reading; materials for any experiments; writing out a schedule; and whatever else needed). And when we are in Chicago, everyone will be learning French. Nick has chosen the destination for his sixteenth birthday trip, so we are going to attempt to learn the language together, and eventually speak to each other in French. I'm excited for that. I try to speak to everyone else in Japanese but no one understands, though Nick and Eric can understand some.
But that's a while in the future, and for now it's like the calm before the storm, to use a much used phrase. You can feel yourself getting restless and excited, energy building but there is nothing on the horizon, nothing visible yet. A feeling of idleness almost. A frustrating sensation. But then again, enjoying the time in between is part of the process; a time to decompress and appreciate the little things.
じゃね。
Lately, it's felt like we're in between; waiting for things to come and bidding time until those things arrive. I find myself wandering the house sometimes, looking for things that I'm supposed to be getting done, but there is nothing like that here. The rush of the beginning of the year has passed and the move to Chicago is too far into the future to begin preparing.
I'm nearly finished with one "semester" I suppose I'll call it; one group of subjects I chose for study, and now it's about time to start gathering the supplies for the next group (books: textbooks, supplemental reading; materials for any experiments; writing out a schedule; and whatever else needed). And when we are in Chicago, everyone will be learning French. Nick has chosen the destination for his sixteenth birthday trip, so we are going to attempt to learn the language together, and eventually speak to each other in French. I'm excited for that. I try to speak to everyone else in Japanese but no one understands, though Nick and Eric can understand some.
But that's a while in the future, and for now it's like the calm before the storm, to use a much used phrase. You can feel yourself getting restless and excited, energy building but there is nothing on the horizon, nothing visible yet. A feeling of idleness almost. A frustrating sensation. But then again, enjoying the time in between is part of the process; a time to decompress and appreciate the little things.
じゃね。
No comments:
Post a Comment