May 26, 2011

The rain persists. Yesterday and today the sky has been cloudy and grey, spilling rain. But this morning for a few hours it was sunny, so my parents and I indulged in our green juice on the porch enjoying the sunshine.
Last night we had thunder storms until the sun peeked over the treetops. It was incredible to fall asleep to the gentle thunder rumbling and large heavy raindrops hitting the roof and street below my windows.

Last night's dinner. It being Mom's birthday, we all hung out in the family room and discussed the movie "I Am" that we had gone to see earlier in the evening. A quiet close to a quiet day.


Yesterday one of the irises bloomed, so this morning as we sipped green vegetable 
juice, mom reminded me to take a few pictures.

During the rainless hours of today, Mom and I walked by the ponds across the road. The honeysuckle, which is the picture above, and lilacs are in bloom right now so the air smelled sweetly the entire walk. If I ever landscape again, I will plant as much honeysuckle and lilac as I can. 


Honeysuckle flowers. Except for the lilacs around the house, most of the fragrant flowers have fallen from the branches due to the storms last night. Bu the honeysuckle managed to hold on tight.

The ponds were still, reflected a sky that was clouding over carrying rain clouds on the wind.

According to our neighbors it has been raining pretty much nonstop while we were on vacation to the West Coast. No wonder everything is growing so lushly and so green!


We also found these flowers growing in among the asphalt path. These too have a slight scent, although not at potent as the honeysuckle or lilac.

Bee balm, also called sweet leaf! It grows thickly by the ponds so this summer, I will be busy making cough syrup, tea, and try my hand at tinctures this the assistance of this wonderful plant.


On the walk back toward home, this Chipmunk ran across the path and played in the vines while Mom and I just watched from a distance. It may sound strange, but my favorite animals are squirrels and chipmunks.

Growing between the boards of the bridge are wild raspberries. They're more sour and tart, and they are smaller in size than domesticated raspberries, but the taste cannot compare. 

And not long after Mom and I reentered the house, it started to rain. So, to lift the subdued mood we were all in, I made cookies and coffee, and we commenced a game of Yatzee. 

じゃあね!

No comments: