July 14, 2011

Another summer day. Yesterday was registration for college classes in the fall, so now I'm all ready for the fall semester except for the textbooks I still have to buy. But on a less important note, all the roses have flowered once again!!

The red rose bush has bloomed the most. 

Now that we are in the middle of summer, the Japanese beetles have decided to attach to the new roses and feast on the petals and leaves alike. 

This is what happened to one rose. I don't know how to get rid of the pests yet except for flicking them off the plants every morning, but I'm hoping there's a more effective method.

This is was the beetle looks like. It took a while to get all of the beetles off this flower, they were quite persistent.

But there are a lot of roses that are stilled untouched.



The yarrow is really growing well, and burdock (gobo) and clary sage is keeping pace. 

And another tomato plant has taken root in the rose bins.

The catnip! In a year or two, I can harvest some of the leaves and make a tea from them. Catnip is an incredibly mild nervine (acts on the nervous system, relaxes the body and mind) that it can even be given to infants with care. It's good for settling the body before sleep or if there is a lot of nervousness or anxiety. I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but maybe next year I can add it to my list of remedies!

The mystery plant has formed many more flowers, so in a few weeks we will know what it is as the fruit begins to forms on the vines. 

じゃあね!

No comments: