May 22, 2012

Today I was in the kitchen, playing around baking in the afternoon. It is spring, and since the rhubarb in the fridge was getting close to it final days, I decided to make rhubarb strawberry muffins. So, here was the journey:

Starting with the rhubarb. I cut up the fruit so it would fit nicely into the muffins.

Which looks like this when all chopped, ready to be added to the batter.

Then, of course, I diced the strawberries as well, making them the same size on the rhubarb pieces. This way they will mix more or less evenly as well as cook the same.

Next I made the batter, mixed all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, etc.), rolled the fruit, strawberries and rhubarb pieces, in the flour mixture. Then I added the wet ingredients (almond milk, vanilla extract, and oil among others) to the flour mixture and fruit. Then into the muffin tin!

After all the batter was ready in the tins, I sprinkled over top of the uncooked muffins a oat and sugar mixture. This picture is after the oat mixture was sprinkled overtop. Now they are ready for the oven!

After almost an half hour in the oven, this is the finished muffin!

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins!

It was fun being in the kitchen again. I missed that during the semester, since being in school fulltime eats all of the time that things like cooking for fun would normally enjoy. Even cleaning the shower is fun, which I also did today. I missed vacuuming of all things!! Sounds crazy, I know, but the little things are what count–the little, everyday, normal chores and activities are almost like a meditation and make me happy. One of those little things is cooking, the edible artform. I dance in the kitchen to music while I cook, and it is wonderful! I love it!
Here's to looking forward to more of the little things this summer!

じゃあね!

No comments: