Since coming to China, I've been experimenting with some Japanese recipes, but with the ingredients we can buy here in Nanjing. This one is my first shot at udon noodles in soup. The broth I put together with store bought tsuyu and water as per the recipe I found, added some extra ginger for a bit of a spice and to help with a cold we were trying to heal. Then, put in some egg. I read that the egg is usually placed on top, but with the family's taste and preferences, mine included, I made it kind of like the egg soup I've seen and eaten in China. So the egg was soft and light in the broth. I topped the soup with some wilted spinach flavored with a little soy sauce and sesames, chopped green onions, and (with a lot of luck!) we were able to find seven flavor pepper spice (七味唐辛子).
It turned out quite well. It ended up being my brother's favorite of the recipes I've tried so far. Next up in the experiment lineup is Onigiri (trying for better shape and rice that will sufficiently stick together) as we found rice ball molds at a Korean store we went to check out this past week–lucky find!
On to the next experiment~
じゃあね!
It turned out quite well. It ended up being my brother's favorite of the recipes I've tried so far. Next up in the experiment lineup is Onigiri (trying for better shape and rice that will sufficiently stick together) as we found rice ball molds at a Korean store we went to check out this past week–lucky find!
The udon noodle soup, try # 1
Turned out well I think!
And finally, the sunset my brother and I caught a glimpse of on our way home from university going to meet Dad with the car because we timed our arrivals well that day and we got pick up service :)
A good end to the day. It was a pretty sight through the apartment buildings (buildings on the right) and subway station (the rounded building with all the bikes on the left).
On to the next experiment~
じゃあね!
No comments:
Post a Comment